Re: erroneous restore into pg_catalog schema

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>
Cc: Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Marko Kreen <markokr(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Kohei KaiGai <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp>
Subject: Re: erroneous restore into pg_catalog schema
Date: 2013-06-11 05:14:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

* Dimitri Fontaine (dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr) wrote:
> > While having one place to put everything sounds great, it doesn't do a
> > whole lot of good if you consider conflicts- either because you want
> > multiple versions available or because there just happens to be some
> > overlap in function names (or similar). There are also extensions which
> > have more than just functions in them but also tables, which increases
> > the chances of a conflict happening. Having the extension authors end
> > up having to prefix everything with the name of the extension to avoid
> > conflicts would certainly be worse than actually using schemas.
>
> Now you're not talking about *default* settings anymore, or are you?

What happens with the default settings when you try to install two
extensions that have overlapping function signatures..? I can't imagine
it 'just works'.. And then what? Is there a way that an admin can set
up search paths for individual users which provide the 'right' function
and work even when the user decides to change their search_path?

Thanks,

Stephen