Re: problem with large inserts

From: "Kevin Grittner" <kgrittn(at)mail(dot)com>
To: "Chris Angelico" <rosuav(at)gmail(dot)com>,pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: problem with large inserts
Date: 2012-12-17 14:51:42
Lists: pgsql-general

Chris Angelico wrote:

>> I never heard of a raidle. What is that?

> Google showed up this:
>
> http://www.techrepublic.com/article/non-standard-raid-levels-primer-raid-1e/6181460
>
> Seems it's "raid 10 for odd numbers of disks".

Ah, thanks! I missed it when I searched because I mis-scanned it
as raidle instead of raid1e.

RAID 1E would be less likely to be misinterpreted.

So, it should have write performance somewhere between a pair of
drives in RAID 1 and four drives in RAID 10, assuming the
controller hadles it well. I'm still curious to see raw I/O numbers
for random and sequential scan against the array.

-Kevin