Re: Add support for logging the current role

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Add support for logging the current role
Date: 2011-02-11 16:33:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > If we're going to abbreviate transaction, I'd vote for txn over tran,
> > but I think Stephen's point that this is already a lost cause may have
> > some validity. Not sure what other people think.

I agree w/ reducing that particular GUC a bit in size, but just to make
it clear- that doesn't even come close to solving or fixing the
80-character terminal issue wrt 'show all;'...

> Aren't we already using "xact" for that purpose in some user-visible
> places? But personally I'd be happy with "max_pred_locks_per_transaction"
> which gets the worst case down without being too obviously at variance
> with "max_locks_per_transaction".

Sounds good to me. The header length for show all would drop to only 206
characters (or so) with that change. If we offered a 'show all;' which
didn't include 'description' and didn't have any settings longer than
about 46 characters, *then* it'd fit on an 80-char terminal. Of course,
if we had multi-line GUC support, we could put each field on a new line
and each of those is well under 46 characters..

Thanks,

Stephen