password passing between postgresql 8.4 and snort

From: richard <richard(at)mail(dot)sheugh(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: password passing between postgresql 8.4 and snort
Date: 2011-01-12 22:34:01
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi all,

I'm running Debian|Squeeze, postgresql8.4, snort and
snort-pgsql.

The documentation I have read to date suggests that
when starting snort it is possible to pass the
password for the snort daemon via the commandline.

From my reading, that possibility was available
only with older versions of postgresql, and the
current recommended practice is to put the
password in a password file.

psql says "--password" doesn't allow an argument

Snort has no user directory or any similar
features, and I'm reluctant to create these just
to allow a password file on disk.

Suggestions or advice would be welcomed.

TIA

Richard A Lough