Re: Simplifying replication

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Simplifying replication
Date: 2010-10-22 00:22:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Josh Berkus wrote:
> Greg,
>
> > The way things stand you *always* need archived logs. Even if you have
> > streaming set up it might try to use archived logs if it falls too far
> > behind.
>
> Actually, you don't. If you're willing to accept possible
> desynchronization and recloning of the standbys, then you can skip the
> archive logs.

Agreed, but as a reality check: when I proposed that wal_keep_segments
= -1 would keep all WAL segments (for use while the file system was
being backed up), I was told administrators shoud compute how much free
disk space they had. Obviously easy of use is not our #1 priority.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com