Re: Creation of temporary tables on read-only standby servers

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Creation of temporary tables on read-only standby servers
Date: 2010-10-22 00:04:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> > Currently it isn't possible to create temporary tables on read-only
> > standby servers, and I don't see it listed on the TODO list. Can I add
> > it?
>
> Not unless you have some credible concept for how it might ever be
> implemented. You can't create temp tables because you can't modify
> system catalogs, and if you did somehow create them you couldn't put
> anything in them because you can't generate XIDs on a slave ... much
> less commit them. We have talked about ways that temp tables might be
> created without touching the "real" system catalogs, but the XID issue
> seems a complete showstopper.

So, this is one of those odd cases where we know people are going to ask
for a feature (temp tables on slaves), but we are not ready to put it on
our TODO list. Where do we document that this isn't going to happen?
In "Features we don't want"? That title doesn't really match.
"Features we don't know how to do" doesn't sound good. ;-)

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com