pg_upgrade patch application process, and move to /bin?

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: pg_upgrade patch application process, and move to /bin?
Date: 2010-10-20 19:01:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I received a private email report yesterday from someone using
> pg_upgrade with PG 9.0 who found it took five hours for pg_upgrade to
> upgrade a database with 150k tables. Yes, that is a lot of tables, but
> pg_upgrade should be able to do better than that.
>
> I have modified pg_upgrade in git master to cache scandir() and reduce
> array lookups and the time is down to 38 minutes. (He prototyped a hash
> implementation that was 30 minutes but it was too much code for my
> taste.)
>
> I don't think this is reasonable to backpatch. If anyone else sees
> cases for pg_upgrade improvement, please let me know.

One more question --- should I be sending pg_upgrade patches to the list
for approval? The restructuring patch was large and didn't seem
necessary to post, and the speedups were tested by the bug reporter, so
I figured those were OK to apply.

Oh, and do we want to move pg_upgrade into /bin for 9.1? There was
discussion about that six months ago.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com