BUG #5650: Postgres service showing as stopped when in fact it is running

From: "Mark Llewellyn" <mark_llewellyn(at)adp(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #5650: Postgres service showing as stopped when in fact it is running
Date: 2010-09-09 16:22:51
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

Bug reference: 5650
Logged by: Mark Llewellyn
Email address: mark_llewellyn(at)adp(dot)com
PostgreSQL version: 9.0 RC1
Operating system: Windows XP
running
Details:

The postgresql-9.0 service is showing as *not running* in pgAdmin 3 1.12 RC1
and as *stopped* in the Windows services list, although the database is
actually running and I can connect to it and create databases, tables etc.
It also shows multiple postgresql tasks in Windows task manager.
However, because Windows XP is not aware that the postgresql-9.0 service is
running it is not possible to stop the service.