Re: Function Returning Table/Record

From: "Carel Combrink" <s25291930(at)tuks(dot)co(dot)za>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "PostgreSQL Novice List" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Function Returning Table/Record
Date: 2010-09-01 07:05:01
Lists: pgsql-novice

Quoting "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>:

> "Carel Combrink" <s25291930(at)tuks(dot)co(dot)za> writes:
>> I have a function that returns a subset of data from a specific table.
>> The function must return all the rows that are present in the parent
>> table.
>
>> Is there an easy way to create this function so that when the table
>> definition changes I don't need to change the function definition.
>> I know I can create the table to return RECORD but then when I call
>> the function I must specify the structure of the returned type.
>
> Can't you declare it as returning the table's rowtype?
>
> regards, tom lane

I have tried to do this with no success, using the ROWTYPE keyword.
After your response I have tried:
RETURNS SETOF table_name
And it correctly returns what I've wanted.

Thank you,
--
Carel Combrink
s25291930(at)tuks(dot)co(dot)za

This message and attachments are subject to a disclaimer. Please refer
to www.it.up.ac.za/documentation/governance/disclaimer/ for full
details. / Hierdie boodskap en aanhangsels is aan 'n vrywaringsklousule
onderhewig. Volledige besonderhede is by
www.it.up.ac.za/documentation/governance/disclaimer/ beskikbaar.