Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Recognize functional dependency on primary keys.

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Recognize functional dependency on primary keys.
Date: 2010-08-14 13:47:57
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> >> No doubt, but the TODO entry you removed is still 100% accurately
> >> worded, and what's more the archive entry it links to clearly describes
> >> exactly the point at issue, namely that grouping by a PK *isn't*
> >> indeterminate. You were wrong to remove it.
>
> > OK, I put it back, but I still feel we might not need it anymore.
>
> Even if you're willing to believe that the questions will stop once
> we have this feature, that won't happen for more than a year.

OK, I updated the TODO text with:

PostgreSQL 9.1 will allow result columns that are not referenced by
GROUP BY if a primary key for the same table is referenced in GROUP BY.

Hopefully we can reevaluate this for 9.2. This is an unusual case
because it is a not-wanted TODO entry (which always come across as
harsh), and we didn't complete it (so we can't mark it as done).

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com