Re: ECPG FETCH readahead

From: Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Böszörményi Zoltán <zb(at)cybertec(dot)at>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Hans-Juergen Schoenig <hs(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Subject: Re: ECPG FETCH readahead
Date: 2010-06-24 12:19:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 12:04:30PM +0300, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> Is there a reason not to enable it by default? I'm a bit worried
> that it will receive no testing if it's not always on.

Yes, there is a reason, namely that you don't need it in native mode at all.
ECPG can read as many records as you want in one go, something ESQL/C
apparently cannot do. This patch is a workaround for that restriction. I still
do not really see that this feature gives us an advantage in native mode
though.

Michael

--
Michael Meskes
ICQ 179140304, AIM/Yahoo/Skype michaelmeskes, Jabber meskes(at)jabber(dot)org