Re: ECPG FETCH readahead

From: Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Böszörményi Zoltán <zb(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Hans-Juergen Schoenig <hs(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Subject: Re: ECPG FETCH readahead
Date: 2010-06-24 12:13:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I think, yes, it does make sense. Because we are talking
> about porting a whole lot of COBOL applications.

COBOL???

> The ESQL/C or ECPG connector was already written
> the Informix quirks in mind, so it fetches only one record
> at a time passing it to the application. And similar performance
> is expected from ECPG - which excpectation is not fulfilled
> currently because libecpg doesn't do the same caching as
> ESQL/C does.

Eh, you are talking about a program you wrote for your customer or they wrote
themselves, right? I simply refuse to add this stuff only to fix this situation
for that one customer of yours if it only hits them. Now the thing to discuss
is how common is this situation.

Michael
--
Michael Meskes
ICQ 179140304, AIM/Yahoo/Skype michaelmeskes, Jabber meskes(at)jabber(dot)org