Re: [v9.1] add makeRangeTblEntry() into makefuncs.c

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [v9.1] add makeRangeTblEntry() into makefuncs.c
Date: 2010-06-14 12:46:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> 2010/6/14 KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>:
> > It adds makeRangeTblEntry() into makefuncs.c to keep the code more
> > clean. It shall be also used for the upcoming DML refactor patch.
> > In this refactoring, a common DML permission checker function take
> > a list of RangeTblEntry, so the caller has to set up the object.
>
> I think this is the epitome of pointless. It looks to me like this
> just makes the code harder to read and very slightly slower without
> actually accomplishing any useful abstraction.

I had suggested to KaiGai that he check if there was an existing
function for creating an RTE rather than just malloc'ing it- he took
that to mean he should add one if he couldn't find one. Wasn't my
intent, but by the same token I didn't see it as a terribly bad thing
either. Perhaps it should be improved or maybe we should just rip it
out, but I rather prefer some kind of abstraction for that given it's
use in a number of places. Of course, I may just be overly thinking it.

Thanks,

Stephen