Open Item: pg_controldata - machine readable?

From: Takahiro Itagaki <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Open Item: pg_controldata - machine readable?
Date: 2010-05-26 02:05:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

There is an open item "pg_controldata - machine readable?" in the list:
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_9.0_Open_Items

The proposal by Joe Conway is adding a new contib module.
http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/4B959D7A.6010907@joeconway.com
http://github.com/jconway/pg_controldata

Should we add the module to 9.0? If we do so, SGML documentation is required.

IMHO, I'd like to put the feature into the core instead of a contrib
module, but we cannot change the catalog version in this time.
So, how about providing control file information through pg_settings
view? We will retrieve those variables as GUC options.

Regards,
---
Takahiro Itagaki
NTT Open Source Software Center