Re: An idle thought

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
Cc: Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: An idle thought
Date: 2010-03-22 20:48:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jeff Davis wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-03-16 at 15:29 +0000, Greg Stark wrote:
> > I'm picturing storing a bit in the visibility map indicating that *no*
> > records are visible in a given page.
>
> I've been thinking for a while that we could store the visibility
> information in a structure separate from the heap -- sort of like the
> visibility map, but per-tuple and authoritative rather than a per-page
> hint.
>
> There are all kinds of challenges there, but it might be worth thinking
> about. Visibility information is highly compressible, and requires
> constant maintenance (updates, deletes, freezing, etc.). It also might
> make it possible to move to 64-bit xids, if we wanted to.

I don't think we want to move to 64-bit xids becasue we would still need
to do vacuum freeze to trim the clog. In fact we do vacuum freeze much
more frequently than required for 32-bit xids for this very reason.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

PG East: http://www.enterprisedb.com/community/nav-pg-east-2010.do