Re: Start of the Seattle Postgres Users Group (Seapug)

From: Robert Bernier <robert(at)pg-live(dot)info>
To: "Albin, Lloyd P" <lalbin(at)scharp(dot)org>
Cc: seapug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Start of the Seattle Postgres Users Group (Seapug)
Date: 2010-02-14 21:29:00
Lists: seapug

Hi Lloyd,

As per our conversation at last week's first ever SEAPUG, you asked what kind of talks I could offer for future meetings.

I've got teaching material for virtually any and all basic PostgreSQL activities. Although these days it's kinda hard to say what exactly constitute 'basic' since a lot of knowledge is required by the DBA before he even begins his foray into PostgreSQL.

I'm pretty much open to any suggestions as to what you'd like me to offer in the way of presentation. Maybe we can get some input from the others who are currently subscribed to this mail list as to what they'd like to see.

At the top of my head here's a list of topics that might pique your interest:
Installing PostgreSQL
Unix/Linux/BSD Installation (Binary and Source)
Windows Installation
Configuration

Server Startup and Shutdown
Command Line Invocation
Explicitly Installing and Running a Service
Shutting Down the Server
The Use of Signals in a UNIX environment

Privileges, and Security
About Database Roles
Attributes
Privileges
Membership

Authentication techniques (editing the pg_hba.conf file)
Unix socket domains
How to use IDENT
How to use PAM
How to use KERBEROS

Encrypted sessions
port forwarding with SSH
Using SSL
Data Encryption

Backup, Logging, and Recovery
Command line utilties
Point In Time Recovery

Supporting projects
SLONY
PGPOOL

--
Robert Bernier
PostgreSQL Business Intelligence Analyst