Re: Changing the name

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Santiago Zarate <santiago(at)zarate(dot)net(dot)ve>
Cc: Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Changing the name
Date: 2010-01-23 04:08:15
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Santiago Zarate wrote:

> > The PostgreSQL project is changing the official name of
> > the project from "PostgreSQL" to "Postgres". Postgres has
> > been a recognized alias for many years, and is the preferred
> > usage by many in the community. The use of PostgreSQL will
> > still be used in many places, but over time will be replaced
> > by Postgres. Again, both names are acceptable, but Postgres
> > is the preferred usage.
>
> Is changing the name really something healty for the project? Besides
> "Letting people be able to say the name correctly", is there any
> other?... for marketing reasons, i still like PostgreSQL (Anyone who
> knows what SQL stands for... will associate the name with something
> database related). Besides, putting effort in this will resurt in less
> effort for the whole work that is publishing the info for a new
> release... (Cause you will only not be talking about how good it is...
> but why the name change)...

Yea, the original logic was that adding the QL to Postgres allowed us to
be identified as a database. The pronunciation issue did come up, but
we never met in person in those days, so we didn't speak the name much.
I think most people agree the name PostgreSQL looks better in print, but
Postgres is easier to say. If we can find a way to print one but mostly
say the other, we would be in good shape.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com