Add .gitignore files to CVS?

From: Tim Bunce <Tim(dot)Bunce(at)pobox(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Add .gitignore files to CVS?
Date: 2010-01-07 22:16:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I've a .git/info/exclude file I pulled from a link on the dev wiki.

Some of the changes I'm making create new files that ought to be added
to the excluded files. I can easily add them to my .git/info/exclude
file but it's much more work for me and others to spread those changes.

Is there any reason not to add .gitignore files into the repository?
They'll make no difference to those who don't use git, but be very
helpful to, and maintained by, those who do.

Tim.