Re: Add .gitignore files to CVS?

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tim Bunce <Tim(dot)Bunce(at)pobox(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Add .gitignore files to CVS?
Date: 2010-01-07 22:32:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On tor, 2010-01-07 at 22:16 +0000, Tim Bunce wrote:
> I've a .git/info/exclude file I pulled from a link on the dev wiki.
>
> Some of the changes I'm making create new files that ought to be added
> to the excluded files. I can easily add them to my .git/info/exclude
> file but it's much more work for me and others to spread those changes.
>
> Is there any reason not to add .gitignore files into the repository?
> They'll make no difference to those who don't use git, but be very
> helpful to, and maintained by, those who do.

I already find the .cvsignore files to be useless and an annoyance to
keep up to date (well, I basically ignore them and someone else cleans
up after me), but if you are thinking about
<http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/GitExclude>, which looks like an
outdated list of every single file that is built, then I think that is
going completely overboard. Why don't you just ignore every single file
by default and override it on a case-by-case basis? That would at least
give reliable results.