Re: Understanding was terminated by signal 9: Killed

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Wells Oliver <wells(dot)oliver(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Understanding was terminated by signal 9: Killed
Date: 2021-10-19 22:01:48
Lists: pgsql-admin

Wells Oliver <wells(dot)oliver(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> In an RDS instance with 16GB RAM, I ran a long query which started by
> setting temp_buffers to 16GB, so I think I plum ran out of memory, but can
> anyone point me in a different direction if the following log messages
> indicate something else is awry?

Yeah, this:

> 2021-10-19 21:10:37 UTC::@:[24752]:LOG: server process (PID 25813) was
> terminated by signal 9: Killed

almost certainly indicates the Linux OOM killer at work. If you were
running your own system I'd point you to [1], but I doubt that RDS
lets you put your hands on the relevant knobs.

regards, tom lane

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/kernel-resources.html#LINUX-MEMORY-OVERCOMMIT