Re: Set statement timeout in the query tool

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Set statement timeout in the query tool
Date: 2009-12-04 17:55:02
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Le vendredi 4 décembre 2009 à 18:43:47, Dave Page a écrit :
> On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 5:33 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
>
> <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:
> > I see a use case for having both. If someone uses a lot the
> > statement_timeout option, he'll be annoyed to put it in the text box
> > every time he launches the query tool.
>
> Just save the value in the toolbar using sysSettings.

Oh yes, I didn't think about that. Always thought that settings should all be
in the Options window, even if it's possible to set them also elsewhere
(examples are settings for the query tool).

> >> Why save/reset it? The next query will just change it again anyway,
> >> and there's no way round that.
> >
> > Because every other query launch by the query tool will use it. For
> > example the one of the GQB (which, AFAIK, uses the same connection).
>
> Right - but you'd still only need to set it once, when the window is
> opened, or if the value is changed. There's no need to keep resetting
> it.

Right too.

> > I don't have any issues with adding a UI for other parameters (work_mem
> > comes to mind immediately). We can put them all in their own toolbar, so
> > that users can hide it, so that it doesn't cluter the window UI.
>
> I do. Extra code maintenance and complexity for little gain.

Yes, sure. It's not really a complex functionality, but many minors make a
complex one.

I've asked Fabrice to give me more details. If it's more interesting this
time, I'll probably come back with another (better?) patch.

--
Guillaume.
http://www.postgresqlfr.org