Re: Set statement timeout in the query tool

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: "pgadmin-hackers" <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Set statement timeout in the query tool
Date: 2009-12-04 17:33:32
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Le vendredi 4 décembre 2009 à 10:52:33, Dave Page a écrit :
> On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 9:41 AM, Guillaume Lelarge
>
> <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Someone, on a french PostgreSQL forum, ask me for a statement timeout UI
> > in the query tool. Here is what I've done so far:
> >
> > * add a config in the Query tab of the Options window;
> > * add a textbox in the toolbar of the query tool;
>
> We certainly don't need both.

I see a use case for having both. If someone uses a lot the statement_timeout
option, he'll be annoyed to put it in the text box every time he launches the
query tool. You'll tell me that he can have a specific user option (with ALTER
USER), and you'll be right. But many of my customers don't have specific user
for their own connection (which is a bad habit, but also a difficult one to
loose).

> > * each query executed will first get the old statement_timeout value,
> > set statement_timeout to the text box one (which is initialized with the
> > config value), execute the real query, and then get back to the old value
>
> Why save/reset it? The next query will just change it again anyway,
> and there's no way round that.

Because every other query launch by the query tool will use it. For example
the one of the GQB (which, AFAIK, uses the same connection).

> > I checked the UI on Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux.
>
> What's wrong with just setting it manually in the script anyway?

Nothing, if you don't do this a lot.

> There are various parameters people might want to set, that we definitely
> don't want to add UI for. I'll concede that statement_timeout is more
> likely to be used than most others, but it seems to me that forcing it
> to be set with every query is far less flexible than just setting it
> as and when required in your script.

I don't have any issues with adding a UI for other parameters (work_mem comes
to mind immediately). We can put them all in their own toolbar, so that users
can hide it, so that it doesn't cluter the window UI. Anyways I don't see a
lot of parameters that would need that treatment.

--
Guillaume.
http://www.postgresqlfr.org