Re: PATCH(WIP): Printing Support And Save GQB/Explain as an image

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Ashesh Vashi <ashesh(dot)vashi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PATCH(WIP): Printing Support And Save GQB/Explain as an image
Date: 2009-11-21 12:55:15
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Le jeudi 19 novembre 2009 à 09:33:44, Ashesh Vashi a écrit :
> Hi Guillaume,
>
> On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 1:25 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
>
> <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>wrote:
> > Le mardi 17 novembre 2009 à 13:35:05, Ashesh Vashi a écrit :
> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > > After a long time, I got some time to refine/correct the patch.
> > >
> > > Please find the WIP patch for "Printing Support in frmQuery
> > > (QueryBuilder/Graphical Query Builder(GQB)/Explain) & Save as an
> > > image".
> >
> > It doesn't apply cleanly:
> >
> > guillaume(at)laptop:~/freeprojects/svn.pgadmin.org/trunk/pgadmin3.asheh$patc
> >h - Np0 < /home/guillaume/*.patch
> > patching file pgadmin/ctl/explainPrintout.cpp
> > patching file pgadmin/ctl/queryPrintout.cpp
> > patching file pgadmin/ctl/module.mk
> > patching file pgadmin/ctl/explainCanvas.cpp
> > patching file pgadmin/pgAdmin3.cpp
> > patching file pgadmin/include/ctl/explainCanvas.h
> > patching file pgadmin/include/ctl/ctlSQLBox.h
> > patching file pgadmin/include/frm/menu.h
> > patching file pgadmin/include/frm/frmQuery.h
> > patching file pgadmin/include/utils/sysSettings.h
> > patching file pgadmin/include/gqb/gqbEvents.h
> > patching file pgadmin/include/gqb/gqbGraphSimple.h
> > patching file pgadmin/include/gqb/gqbViewController.h
> > patching file pgadmin/include/gqb/gqbGraphBehavior.h
> > patching file pgadmin/frm/frmQuery.cpp
> > patching file pgadmin/pgAdmin3.vcproj
> > Hunk #1 FAILED at 416.
> > Hunk #2 FAILED at 3960.
> > 2 out of 2 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file
> > pgadmin/pgAdmin3.vcproj.rej
> > patching file pgadmin/gqb/gqbView.cpp
> > patching file pgadmin/gqb/gqbGraphSimple.cpp
> > patching file pgadmin/gqb/module.mk
> > Hunk #1 FAILED at 20.
> > Hunk #2 FAILED at 28.
> > 2 out of 2 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file
> > pgadmin/gqb/module.mk.rej patching file pgadmin/gqb/gqbController.cpp
> > patching file pgadmin/gqb/gqbPrintout.cpp
> > patching file xtra/wx-build/build-wxgtk
>
> That is because, the patch did not apply well to 'pgadmin/gqb/module.mk'
> file. :(
> Please find the updated patch.

You're right in the diagnostics, but your wrong patch is obviously wrong.
Anyways, I was able to compile (after I finally understood I needed the
libgnomeprintui library), run, and then test it. And it's really a great
addition to pgAdmin.

Two comments:

* the Explain menu for print preview/print/save as image should be disabled if
the explain is not already available (so that the user doesn't get a warning
message telling them they couldn't have the print of the explain).

* I don't like the location and the text of the item "SaveAs image". I think
it would be better to label it "Save As Image" (note the space between Save
and As). Its location should be just under the "Save As" item, probably mixed
with it (something like:

Save As -> Query (text)
Explain (image)
GQB (image)