Re: EOL for 7.4?

From: Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum <adsmail(at)wars-nicht(dot)de>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: EOL for 7.4?
Date: 2009-11-12 22:09:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 15:23:06 -0500 Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:
> > On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 10:32:17 -0800 Josh Berkus wrote:
> >

> >> The same goes for other OSS projects. There's quite a few random OSS
> >> apps which were created on PG 7.4 and have never offered their users an
> >> upgrade path (Gnuworld comes to mind). They need an EOL announcement to
> >> get them motivated to upgrade.
> >>

> > I know several customers who decided to move from 7.3 only after the
> > EOL was announced. If 7.3 would not has see an EOL, they would never
> > ever have moved to a newer version.
> >

> Nobody that I have seen is arguing against EOLing 7.4.

True. But as Josh pointed out: some people/projects/companies need
more "motivation" to actually consider an upgrade at all.

> What I and others have been arguing is necessary to do EOL right is a
> serious amount of notice, by way of press releases etc. We can't expect
> users to keep polling our web site to see if there's an EOL. That means
> we need to prepare for an EOL months or a year in advance, ISTM.

Months. The software will not stop working once we announced the EOL.
And yes, i'm +1 for having a rule for EOL, like "5 versions are
supported".

Bye

--
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum