Re: Data type selection when creating a column... really hard task

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Antonio Cabrera Pérez <antoniocabreraperez(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Data type selection when creating a column... really hard task
Date: 2009-09-12 12:45:53
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hi,

Le samedi 12 septembre 2009 à 12:48:38, Antonio Cabrera Pérez a écrit :
> I'm using pgAdmin 1.10 on Ubuntu 9.04
>
> When creating a new column ("properties" tab), the combo for "Data type"
> is not responding to direct "text typing". Selection of a data type is
> very hard: you have to expand the combo box and searching manually the
> element you want (in a "long" list).

Yes, you're right.

> I'm not sure if this is a wxWidget limitation on Linux ... but I lose
> 50% of my time with this combo when defining new tables...

AFAICT, it's a wxWidgets limitation on Linux. I understand this is not a
satisfactory answer.

> Any solution? (Actually, I use Win32 version of pgAmnin on Wine: it
> works, but I feel I'm saying "windows interface is better"... ).

None right now. I don't like this but the Windows interface is really better,
and we need to work on this. Not sure what the best way is: fix wxWidgets or
create new widgets for pgAdmin. The best way would be to do both, but it's a
lot of work.

Anyways, I created a ticket (http://code.pgadmin.org/trac/ticket/74) to
remember us that we have to enhance this part.

Thanks for your report.

--
Guillaume.
http://www.postgresqlfr.org