Re: pg_stat_activity.current_query explanation?

From: Joshua Tolley <eggyknap(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Pat Chan <galt123(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_stat_activity.current_query explanation?
Date: 2009-09-03 13:05:46
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Wed, Sep 02, 2009 at 11:29:14AM -0400, Pat Chan wrote:
> One is '<IDLE in transaction>' and the other is simply the word 'end'.
> I googled everywhere about this but to not avail. If you could shed some
> light on this subject that would be great!
> Thank you in advance.

'<IDLE in transaction>' means that the client has opened a transaction but
isn't doing anything right now. If you issue a "BEGIN;" command and then just
sit there, for instance, you'll see these.

'END' is synonymous with 'COMMIT', so where those show up, it means the client
is in the middle of committing a transaction.

--
Joshua Tolley / eggyknap
End Point Corporation