New binary installer logo

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>, PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: New binary installer logo
Date: 2009-07-08 20:28:36
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Dave Page wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 10:28 AM, Andreas Pflug<pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de> wrote:
> > I wonder how many non-EDB contributors have seen the One-Click
> > installer; I never used it until 8.4. I was quite irritated how
> > prominently the EnterpriseDB lettering is placed on the installer; apart
> > from a tiny "Packaged by" the graphics is a pgsql Elephant with a big
> > "EnterpriseDB(tm)" on top, with no PostgreSQL lettering around. From the
> > installer's appearance, you could get the impression EDB is the company
> > behind postgres.
>
> EDB *is* the company behind those installers. We have a number of
> people working on them, between two and three working full time in the
> lead up to 8.4 on testing and development.
>
> The logo is a large elephant logo, which is probably 3 times the size
> of the 'packaged by edb' logo. It is shown on 2 of the 9 installer
> screens.
>
> The splash screen shown by the installer at startup is based on the
> blue gradient website banner, containing the elephant, and 'world's
> most advanced open source database' tagline, with no EDB logo or text
> etc. at all.

The problem is that EDB's logo contains their name, while the PostgreSQL
elephant doesn't, so having only the two logos isn't even. What Dave
suggested and my son Matthew implemented is a new installer logo, moving
the Postgres elephant logo to the top and adding the "PostgreSQL" name,
and moving the EnterpriseDB logo to the bottom. Here is the result,
which will appear in the next version of the installer:

http://momjian.us/expire/logo.png

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com