Re: New types for transparent encryption

From: Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: tomas(at)tuxteam(dot)de
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: New types for transparent encryption
Date: 2009-07-08 05:43:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

tomas(at)tuxteam(dot)de wrote:

> As other posters have put it, I'd be very sceptical of server-side
> decryption. If the server "has" all the necessary bits to decrypt the
> data, all bets are off.

Server can access both encrypted data and its password, but we can put
them in different disk drives. We cannot decrypt the data unless we have
all copies of the drives.

If postgres server is started manually, there might be another design
that DBA sets password as a postmaster's startup parameter. If do so,
the password is only in memory but not in disk drives.

Regards,
---
ITAGAKI Takahiro
NTT Open Source Software Center