Re: using the difference function

From: Joshua Tolley <eggyknap(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "SMITH, Phillip (external)" <phillip(dot)smith(at)astrium(dot)eads(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: using the difference function
Date: 2009-06-25 20:48:57
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 06:07:22PM +0100, SMITH, Phillip (external) wrote:
> I have installed PostgreSQL 8.3 using a windows exe. Looking under
> C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.3\lib i can see fuzzystrmatch.dll.
>
> However it is not in the bin folder.
> Is this function considered a bolt-on to PostgreSQL and if so:
> 1. How do I install it?

I don't do windows, so can't tell you exactly, but there should be a
fuzzystrmatch.sql file somewhere there as well. Run that SQL script, i.e.
psql -f fuzzystrmatch.sql database_name

> 2. Does it install to the server or to each database?

You'll need to run that install script in each database where you'd like to
have fuzzystrmatch functions available. Alternatively, run it in the template1
database before creating the databases you want it used in, and it will be
automatically installed in each database.

- Josh / eggyknap