Re: temporarily stop autovacuum

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: temporarily stop autovacuum
Date: 2009-02-10 13:53:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tatsuo Ishii wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there any way to stop autovacuum temporarily?(other than edit
> postgresql.conf and reload it)

Hmm, no, that's the only way.

I'm not sure that this calls for a change in autovacuum itself; it seems
to be that whatwe really need is the ability to change postgresql.conf
settings from the SQL interface. This has been discussed at length
elsewhere, and I think we need to bite the bullet eventually.