Re: reloptions with a "namespace"

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: reloptions with a "namespace"
Date: 2009-02-02 16:11:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Euler Taveira de Oliveira wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera escreveu:
> > New patch attached, with pg_dump support (thanks to Tom for the SQL
> > heads-up).
> >
> Great! We're close. Just two minor gripes:
>
> + char *validnsps[] = { "toast" };
>
> Surely, you forgot to add a NULL at the end. Patch is attached.

Right, thanks.

> IIRC, my last patch includes a partial validation code for RESET cases. For
> example, the last SQL will not be atomic (invalid reloption silently ignored).
> So, why not apply the namespace validation code to RESET case too? Patch is
> attached too.

No, we must not validate the options passed to RESET, because we want to
be able to reset even options that we do not currently think that are
valid. Consider that we might be trying to clean up after options set
by a previous version of a module.

--
Alvaro Herrera http://www.PlanetPostgreSQL.org/
"Saca el libro que tu religión considere como el indicado para encontrar la