Re: WAL file compatibility

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Steve Crawford <scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com>
Cc: Radamanthus Batnag <rad(dot)batnag(at)devex(dot)com>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: WAL file compatibility
Date: 2009-10-26 14:03:56
Lists: pgsql-admin

Steve Crawford <scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> The source and destination servers have to be the same major PG release,
>> same architecture (no 32-bit vs 64-bit for instance), and built with the
>> same configure options. OS per se shouldn't matter, but you could
>> easily get burnt on configure options if you use binaries obtained from
>> different packagers. Compare pg_config output or check the fields
>> listed by pg_controldata.

> Out of curiosity, will Pg automatically detect incompatible WAL files
> and refuse to operate on them throwing the appropriate error or can it
> appear to work for a while until it suddenly doesn't?

There are checks on the contents of pg_control, not directly on WAL
files, but the system identifier checks should link the two together.

I suspect the largest practical risk is that different OSes might assign
different behaviors to the same locale name. There's really no good way
for Postgres to detect that :-(