Re: reloptions and toast tables

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: reloptions and toast tables
Date: 2008-12-20 23:48:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Euler Taveira de Oliveira wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera escreveu:
> > I'm wondering if I should just allow all reloptions (including
> > fillfactor) or just the autovacuum ones.
> >
> Yes, please. But i'm afraid it is too 'complicated' to expose
> 'pg_toast.pg_toast_xxxxx' to user (but we can solve it with good
> documentation). What about xxx_toast reloptions? The con is that we need to
> add 2 reloptions if the new reloption is table-related.

Hmm, now that I look at that again, it seems a very bad idea.

Your idea of having separate options for the toast table, I take you
mean having toast_autovacuum_enabled and such, and they would be
attached to the main table? If that's what you mean, I admit I don't
like it either -- we would duplicate the size of the reloptions table
for no good reason :-(

It would be better to have a separate command, that doesn't force the
user to look up the toast table name. I'm not sure what such a syntax
would actually look like though. I'm open to ideas.

ALTER TABLE foo SET (TOAST autovacuum_enabled = false);
ALTER TABLE foo SET (toast.autovacuum_enabled = false);
ALTER TABLE foo TOAST SET (autovacuum_enabled = false);
ALTER TABLE foo SET TOAST (autovacuum_enabled = false);

...?