Re: Patch: plan invalidation vs stored procedures

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Joshua Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, Asko Oja <ascoja(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Martin Pihlak <martin(dot)pihlak(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Patch: plan invalidation vs stored procedures
Date: 2008-08-19 20:38:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dimitri Fontaine escribió:

> The problem here (at least for me) was to understand why this (yet to be
> reviewed) patch is about implementing a new feature and not about
> bugfixing an existing one. So we're exactly in the fog around the
> informal backpatch policy, and as long as we're able to continue talking
> nicely about it, this seems the finest solution :)

The actual criterion is not really "new user-visible feature" versus
"bug fix". It's more an attempt at measuring how large a potential
impact the change has. The patch I saw was introducing a whole new
message type to go through the shared invalidation queue, which is not
something to be taken lightly (consider that there are three message
types of messages currently.)

It's possible that for the Skype usage this patch introduces the
behavior they want. But for other people, perhaps this kind of
invalidation causes secondary effects that are completely unforeseen --
what if it breaks their apps and they must carry out a week's work to
fix it? What if a serious security problem is discovered tomorrow and
they can't update because we've broken backwards compatibility for them?