Re: Additional psql requirements

From: ITAGAKI Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Additional psql requirements
Date: 2008-07-25 01:00:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

> * access to version number
> * simple mechanism for conditional execution
> * ability to set substitution variables from command execution
> * conditional execution whether superuser or not

Can we use pgScript for such flow controls?
http://pgscript.projects.postgresql.org/INDEX.html

I'm not sure pgScript can be used in pgAdmin already, but if we support
it both psql and pgAdmin, the scripting syntax will be a defact standard
because they are the most major user interfaces to postgres. I think it is
not good to add another "dialect" that can be used only in psql.

Regards,
---
ITAGAKI Takahiro
NTT Open Source Software Center