Re: PERSISTANT PREPARE (another point of view)

From: Steve Midgley <public(at)misuse(dot)org>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Milan Oparnica <milan(dot)opa(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: PERSISTANT PREPARE (another point of view)
Date: 2008-07-11 23:54:06
Lists: pgsql-sql

At 04:31 PM 7/11/2008, pgsql-sql-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org wrote:
>Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 23:31:03 +0000
>From: Milan Oparnica <milan(dot)opa(at)hotmail(dot)com>
>To: <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
>Subject: PERSISTANT PREPARE (another point of view)
>[snip]
>What could we gain by introducing a kind of global prepared statement
>area, is SIMPLICITY of DB DEVELOPMENT AND MAINTENANCE.
>
>Here is our point of view:
>[snip]
>Now, instead of preparing statements on each connection request (and
>we use around 900 prepared statements), why couldn't we simply prepare
>these statements ONCE and keep them in some global storage for future
>everyday usage.

Hi,

What's wrong with using complex views, stored procedures, functions and
maybe even custom data types to accomplish what you want here? It seems
like you could build a lot of "prepared statements" using these tools,
providing your application layer developers with a consistent set of
interfaces to obtain data that are not tied to the data tables
themselves. And allowing them to insert/update/manage tables via
structured interfaces as well.

Am I missing something?

Best,

Steve