Re: Proposal to remove some mailing lists

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org, rod(at)iol(dot)ie
Date: 2008-07-03 17:02:16
Lists: pgsql-www

On Thursday 03 July 2008 11:57:10 Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-07-03 at 11:46 -0400, Robert Treat wrote:
> > On Thursday 03 July 2008 06:24:16 Raymond O'Donnell wrote:
> > > On 02/07/2008 17:49, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> >
> > +1. While the questions on that list due tend to be pretty on-topic, they
> > would be equally fine asked on -general, and probably answered more
> > quickly as well.
>
> Except that General is an extremely active list and may cause those
> subscribed to pgsql-php to unsubscribe. Topic specific lists are good.
>
> If we want to get rid of pgsql-php lets do it for something at least
> directional, say pgsql-webdev a list dedicated to web developers using
> PostgreSQL.

This presumes one only uses php for web development... really it can be used
for scripting and gui applications as well. Heck, I even heard of some
company trying to use it for database procedural work.

More on point, why would you seperate web developer questions from other
questions? And how? Not being able to connect to postgres from a webserver is
pretty much the same issue as not connecting from anything else. Or what
about someone using dbd:pg from a script, vs. someone using it to write a
cgi?

*shrug*

I'm subscribed to both, so it doesnt affect me much, but I don't see much
benefit to having that list as it stands now (and the traffic is pretty low
anyway)

--
Robert Treat