Re: Proposal: pulling newsbytes from www.pgfoundry.org

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Proposal: pulling newsbytes from www.pgfoundry.org
Date: 2008-06-12 18:50:53
Lists: pgsql-www

On Thursday 12 June 2008 13:22:17 Josh Berkus wrote:
> First, I wasn't proposing merging pgfoundry news with *events* (which only
> has 3 slots) but with *news* (which has 6). Right now, 3 of those slots
> are taken up by commercial products; don't you think it's fair that
> pgFoundry projects should bump them? If we have a problem with core
> release announcements scrolling off too fast, isn't that a *code* problem
> for the WWW team to solve?

I think it is only a code problem once we decide on a policy we want to use.
Right now we have a few different types of content we promote on the main
page:

core release announcements
other core specific news
project announcements
product announcements
training information
large event information
pug information
blogs

As I see it, promoting core information should be our largest priority, which
would include the top two items.

our next priority should be promoting postgresql to the general populations,
which would include large event and pug informations.

after that we have service level information, which is projects, products, and
training.

now, I left out blogs because they are kind of across the map as far as
content, but based on popularity of them, they should probably be held high
on the list, I'd say somewhere below large event information but above pugs.

looking that list over, istm just aggregating pgfoundry and our current news
feed is the way to go, but there are still a number of areas that should be
addressed, imho.

--
Robert Treat