Re: off-topic: SPAM

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Subject: Re: off-topic: SPAM
Date: 2008-04-24 18:19:57
Lists: pgsql-performance pgsql-www

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008, Gregory Stark wrote:

> "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org> writes:
>
>> Marc G. Fournier escribió:
>>>
>>> where are the reports going to? am I missing off a list somewhere?
>>>
>>> of course, your response really didn't enlighten me any ... what is the
>>> problem that is being seen / reported ?
>>
>> The problem is that any time some posts to pgsql-performance he gets a
>> bounce from a postmaster in infotecnica.com.br domain.
>>
>> It has been reported in several lists:
>>
>> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-www/2007-12/msg00203.php
>> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2007-12/msg00697.php
>> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2007-12/msg00126.php
>
> The only way we're going to solve this is to send a personalized email to
> every subscriber of pgsql-performance. We might be able to get away with just
> doing brazilian subscribers first and hope it's one of those.

That would only be 42 email addresses, so not *too* painful, but if their
email requires a 'challenge-response' to send to them, how did they get
subscribed in the first place, as our subscribe method is
'challenge-response' also, which means they have to receive the email we
send to them automaticalloy in the first place ...

So, are these a result of forwarding, vs direct subscription?