Re: win32: how to backup (dump does not work)

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Joris Dobbelsteen <Joris(at)familiedobbelsteen(dot)nl>
Cc: fkater(at)googlemail(dot)com, Gevik Babakhani <pgdev(at)xs4all(dot)nl>,pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: win32: how to backup (dump does not work)
Date: 2008-02-27 09:10:40
Lists: pgsql-general
On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 11:51:34PM -0000, Joris Dobbelsteen wrote:
> >> AFAIK stopping the server, zipping data dir, and restarting
> >the server
> >> creates a zip file which is not easily portable to other
> >computers due
> >> to some ntfs file system permission problems.
> >>
> >IIRC you have to re-assign owner and change permissions after
> >you copy your data dir to the new server.
>
> I believe something like NTBackup (or any decent windows backup tool)
> can properly restore permissions. However, this will only work with
> centralized authentication (with NT domain) and NO local computer
> accounts used, when moving between servers (for obvious reasons). I
> think even WinRAR contains an option to do so, but cannot remember for
> sure and I never tried it anyways.

Actually, it will work for local oens as well, as long as you only use
built-in principals. However, the pg install by default uses a custmo
account which, as you say, will not be portable to a different machine.

> In cause you mean the permissions prevent you from making a backup, this
> should be a smaller problem if you are infact a backup operator and use
> a windows backup tool (they get more rights when requested).

If you are a backup operator, it shouldn't be a problem *at all*. If it is,
something is wrong.

//Magnus