Re: database tuning

From: Michael Stone <mstone+postgres(at)mathom(dot)us>
To: kelvan <kicmcewen(at)windowslive(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: database tuning
Date: 2007-12-12 00:10:26
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Wed, Dec 12, 2007 at 12:27:39PM +1200, kelvan wrote:
>I have also learnt and also Richard pointed out just not in so many words
>the difference in support from a open source community compared to a non
>open source company is that the people who give support in open source are
>opinionated rather than concise meaning they will give you their opinion
>rather than answering the question

No, the difference is that the paid support *has to* give *an* answer.
It doesn't have to be a useful answer, it just has to fulfil their
obligation. They will give you whatever answer you ask for to get you
off the phone as quickly as possible because it makes their on-phone
numbers better than arguing about it and trying to give a useful answer.

Free support will tell you that what you're asking for is silly, because
they don't have to give you the answer you asked for in order to get you
off the phone.

You seem to have already made up your mind about a whole number of
things, making this whole discussion more amusing than erudite.

Mike Stone