Re: Release Note Changes

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Release Note Changes
Date: 2007-12-08 13:13:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Simon Riggs wrote:

> > > Yep, kind of illogical but it is fair.
> >
> > If we're at the stage of saying logic is irrelevant, then I'll never
> > persuade you, probably of anything, ever...
>
> You said above yourself you didn't want the names removed.

Simon's the guy who (rightfully, IMHO) smacked me for forgetting to
credit him on a commit message. Credit is important to some people.
Let's not get in the business of annoying the people who gives their
work for free. For some, credit is the second sole reason for hacking
Postgres (first one being because it's fun). If I had had no credit,
I wouldn't have a job.

If anyone explicitely says that credit is not important to him, feel
free to remove his name from the release notes. I doubt you're going to
get many takers.

I don't think 100% fairness is a goal anyway. Just name the people who
did the work and that's enough.

That said, maybe we should additionally have a *separate* section in the
release notes to name the people who collaborated. Perhaps not just a
name list, but also what did they do.

--
Alvaro Herrera http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/5ZYLFMCVHXC
"Endurecerse, pero jamás perder la ternura" (E. Guevara)