Re: [HACKERS] Time to update list of contributors

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Time to update list of contributors
Date: 2007-11-28 20:36:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

On Wednesday 28 November 2007 04:21, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 27, 2007 at 04:08:36PM -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > All,
> >
> > Time for the annual update of this list:
> > http://www.postgresql.org/developer/bios
> >
> > Here's the list of people I gleaned from the release notes (btw, if
> > people have countries for the folks who aren't attributed, I'd appreciate
> > them). Of course, there are many contributors to essential non-core code
> > who should be listed as well:
>
> The mentioned page has a split in "core", "major" and "other" developers.
> The first part is easy, but a difference is needed between the other two I
> think.

A major contributor is differentiated from other contributors based on 1)
longevity in the community, 2) number of areas they work on, 3) signifigance
of the contributions that have been made.

To become an other contributor, you have to have contributed something of
sginifcance to the community; this has typically meant some new feature for a
release, but could also mean being a package maintainer for one of the open
source platforms; it was something specific to the postgresql core project
though; ie. something likely discussed on the postgresql mailing lists, or
involving the central project.

--
Robert Treat