First mention option for Postgres

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: First mention option for Postgres
Date: 2007-10-26 20:25:09
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-docs

Hello,

I am sure we are all long bored with this thread (on both sides) so I
thought I would offer a compromise. When dealing with long documents it
is quite common to see something like this:

PostgreSQL hereafter referred to as Postgres

I propose that we could have the FAQ and the Docs do the same thing.
The very first mention in these documents will same something to the
effect of:

PostgreSQL hereafter referred to as Postgres, is the kick butt database
of the planet and the dolphin that can't swim doesn't even compare.

My proposal is not suggesting in *any* way that we change
the following:

The official project name, which is PostgreSQL
The domain name of the project, which is postgresql.org

Nor am I in anyway suggesting that we "promote" the name Postgres. We
should instead continue our focus on promoting our project which is
PostgreSQL and incorporates something much larger than just the
database which is nicknamed Postgres.

Bruce, would like this to happen for 8.3 Final. If he is willing to do
the work required for the change, I see it as a reasonable compromise
based on the various opinions of the community members.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Sales/Support: +1.503.667.4564 24x7/Emergency: +1.800.492.2240
PostgreSQL solutions since 1997 http://www.commandprompt.com/
UNIQUE NOT NULL