Re: FAQ corrections

From: Ian Barwick <barwick(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Subject: Re: FAQ corrections
Date: 2007-10-17 12:27:49
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Wednesday 17 October 2007 00:02, Robert Treat wrote:
> On Tuesday 16 October 2007 15:46, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Robert Treat wrote:

> > > I'm curious why this was removed. We still get this question a bit on
> > > irc and there aren't any more appropriate answers for any released
> > > version than what the FAQ contained...
> >
> > The FAQ will match the release it goes with or we could just delay its
> > removal until after 8.3 is in major circulation and say it only applies
> > to pre-8.3.
>
> I think it should remain, with an addition that this problem should be
> resolved as of PostgreSQL 8.3. Hard to say exactly when, but I would think
> it would be at least untill 8.3 is released, and probably better would be 6
> months or so later, when (hopefully) people stop asking about this. IMHO.

Sounds sensible. (I removed it while going through checking for broken links
etc., and the section numbering didn't match the contents; checking against
CVS it appeared the intention of Revision 1.393 was to remove this item, cf.
http://developer.postgresql.org/cvsweb.cgi/pgsql/doc/src/FAQ/FAQ.html#rev1.393
).

Attached is an updated FAQ patch which re-includes this item and a note that
it's been resolved in 8.3.

Ian Barwick

Attachment Content-Type Size
FAQ.html.cdiff text/x-diff 1.7 KB