Re: Some questions about mammoth replication

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Alexey Klyukin <alexk(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Marko Kreen <markokr(at)gmail(dot)com>, Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)skype(dot)net>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Some questions about mammoth replication
Date: 2007-10-11 16:56:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 19:10:18 +0300
Alexey Klyukin <alexk(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:

> Marko Kreen wrote:
> > >
> > > A pure trigger based approach can only replicate data for the
> > > commands which fire triggers. AFAIK Slony is unable to replicate
> > > TRUNCATE command (I don't know if Skytools can). Replicator
> > > doesn't have this limitation.
> >
> > No, Skytools is same as Slony.
> >
> > Can you also replicate changes to system tables?

> No, we need a table to have primary key to be able to replicate it.
> From the other hand replicating a system relation can be dangerous,
> i.e. what if you replicate the contents of pg_class without
> corresponing relations on the slave, that's why explicitly forbid
> enabling replication for relations from pg_catalog namespace.

We can however replicate large objects and specific system commands
like GRANT/REVOKE and CREATE/DROP user. The latter being done via
triggers.

Joshua D. Drake

> Regards,

Sales/Support: +1.503.667.4564 24x7/Emergency: +1.800.492.2240
PostgreSQL solutions since 1997 http://www.commandprompt.com/
UNIQUE NOT NULL