Re: type money causes unrestorable dump

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: "D'Arcy J(dot)M(dot) Cain" <darcy(at)druid(dot)net>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: type money causes unrestorable dump
Date: 2007-10-09 16:02:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 9 Oct 2007 11:26:16 -0400
"D'Arcy J.M. Cain" <darcy(at)druid(dot)net> wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Oct 2007 20:02:56 -0700
> "Joshua D. Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:
> > The money data type has been deprecated for years. It is completely
> > non standard and essentially duplicative of numeric/decimal. What
> > is the point?
>
> It may be deprecated (maybe not) and it may have drawbacks but it is
> not a duplication of numeric or decimal. While numeric/decimal may be
> faster for I/O, money is faster for doing large sums. Depending on
> your needs it does have an advantage over numeric.

Fair enough..

However, keep in mind that I really don't care if Money is deprecated
or not. I do care that the docs say it is, and it may not be. :)

Joshua D. Drake

> That said, I wonder if there is another answer to this question.
> Perhaps the functions in cash.c can be pulled out and made into
> external functions that can be fed an int (long) and output the
> desired format. That way we could use the existing int or long type
> but convert manually on I/O. Let people choose whether they want the
> simplification of the money type or the standardization allowed by
> just using the functions.
>
> Just a thought.

Sales/Support: +1.503.667.4564 24x7/Emergency: +1.800.492.2240
PostgreSQL solutions since 1997 http://www.commandprompt.com/
UNIQUE NOT NULL