Re: Estimating market size

From: Robert Bernier <robert(dot)bernier5(at)sympatico(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Estimating market size
Date: 2007-10-05 11:50:54
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-de-allgemein

Andy,

I don't have any numbers but significant elements of the provincial government
of Quebec is extremely pro-opensource (including postgres). I would attribute
this to the historical economic and social ties that exists with the
government's in Europe's own francophone countries i.e. Belgium, France,
Switzerland etc. which is of course more opensource friendly than the
continental US.

On Friday 5 October 2007 05:39, Andy Astor wrote:
> Everyone,
>
> I am actually working on an exercise to generate some numbers on the
> Postgres market share and/or market size, both in the US and globally.
>
> If anyone has any information on this topic, whether anecdotal,
> analyst-based, or from any other source, I would appreciate you sending it
> to me. I will summarize my findings with the mailing list once they are
> complete, in the next couple of weeks. Thanks in advance,
>
> Andy
>
> P.S. Tatsuo...interesting assessment. It¹s amazing that Postgres¹s
> popularity in Japan is an estimated 5 times the number in the US!
>

> On 10/5/07 12:14 AM, "Tatsuo Ishii" <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org> wrote:
>
> > Just for a fun, I played with some market size estimation.
> >
> > It is said that in Japan on Linux platform, PostgreSQL/MySQL/Oracle
> > has almost even shares (I would say 25% each). PostgreSQL's share in
> > US is probably less than 5%(correct me if I'm wrong). Now population
> > of Japan is 127M, while US's is 300M. So I could estimate number of
> > users ratio in Japana and US as follows:
> >
> > Japan/US ratio = 127M*25% / 300M*5%
> > = 2.12
> >
> > So may be I could say that number of PostgreSQL users in Japan is
> > twice as many as that in US?
> > --
> > Tatsuo Ishii
> > SRA OSS, Inc. Japan