Re: Please change default characterset for database cluster

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: CN <cnliou9(at)fastmail(dot)fm>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Please change default characterset for database cluster
Date: 2007-09-30 20:27:37
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sun, Sep 30, 2007 at 11:55:00AM +0800, CN wrote:
> Various people have various perceptions. I don't feel that my suggestion
> only serves to make PostgreSQL become a software product fitting only
> *myself*. On the contrary, I believe PostgreSQL will become suitable for
> more novice users if initdb will use UNICODE as the default characterset
> when it is not given option "-E" and when it can not correctly derive a
> characterset from locale.

At the end of the day the problem is incompatability between locale and
encoding. If the webmaster can't get the encoding right then they sure
as hell arn't going to get the locale right. And mismatched
encoding/locale will give you even worse problems.

It is a problem with postgres that it relies on the OS for these
things. Patches have been floated over the years and rejected for all
sorts of reasons. Maybe somebody it will get fixed.

Have a nice day,