Re: to_date gives odd results

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Josh Tolley <eggyknap(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: to_date gives odd results
Date: 2007-08-31 13:33:04
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Josh Tolley escribió:
> > On Thursday 30 August 2007 21:15, Tom Lane wrote:
> > > to_date and friends are fairly awful in terms of not throwing errors
> > > when the input doesn't really match the format. I think what you
> > > shoulda got here is a bad-input error. However, somebody's going to
> > > have to do a major rewrite of formatting.c to make it much better...
>
> Any votes for making that formatting.c rewrite a TODO item?

Well, there is already a to_char patch scheduled for 8.4. If you want
to improve the to_date code, you are invited to do so -- no need to have
a TODO item about it.

If what you expect is that having a TODO item will mean that somebody
else will start working on it, I think you'll be disappointed :-)

(OTOH maybe we should add it and put the % mark in it.)